Monday, June 22, 2009

Journal Update: A New Hobby


Partly due to my conscious effort to take up a new hobby every few months and partly due to the increasing routineness of gym workouts, I have decided to start cycling to keep in shape. I bought a BSA ACT 105. It's a light weight (17Kg), aluminium frame, 21 gears MTB. A decent looking piece of machinery.

I went for a 12 Km ride today from begumpet to Jubilee check post and the early morning breeze, which was rather strong for my first day, felt good for its coolness. Also the way towards the check post was mostly uphill which compounded with the fact that I haven't yet mastered the art of using gears for different gradients made the first half quite intense. The returning half was consequently downhill and very easy. I should choose more uniform routes for the initial few rides.

In the next few weeks I plan to read some literature on cycling to understand its nuances better. Also, to keep things different and interesting I have decided to divide my week evenly between cycling and jogging. My current goals are to run 21 K half marathon in Hyderabad which is sometime in November and to ride longer distances on cycle.

I will keep updating this blog as and when I learn new things about cycling. It seems I am going to like it.

Sachin Cyclist Tyagi !!

P.S. The two inspirations for all this are my younger brothers, Navneet and Ashish, who are infinitely active and athletic and have great stamina.



Journal Update: A New HobbySocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: